A fantastic list by Strong in the Broken Places Blog site about picture books that deal with unconventional families. Check it out!
We generated this list on my grad school’s private forum, and I thought it might be interesting to you all. It’s picture books that don’t just have the mother-father-sibling-dog family relationships.
- The Family Book by Todd Parr
- Olivia by Ian Falconer–single mother
- “Let’s Get a Pup!” said Kate by Bob Graham–androgynous, cool parents
- A Chair for My Mother by Vera Williams–a single mom and grandmother raising a girl
- Monster Mama by Liz Rosenberg–single mother, metaphor for mental illness
- And Tango Makes Three–true story of gay male penguins who hatched and raised a foster baby penguin
- A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever by Marla Frazee–two active, clueless grandparents on vacation with two boys
- Eloise–pretty much unsupervised girl living in fancy hotel
- Fly Away Home by Eve Bunting–a man and his son who are homeless living in an airport
- December by Eve Bunting–also about homelessness
View original post 143 more words